8.27.2004

see, you aren't the biggest loser...

i have been keeping a secret. i am going back to school. i promised myself years ago that i would have my degree by the time i was 30. well, i have pushed that date back, quite a bit. i am so close to finishing a degree in anthropology, but really my days of going to dig in africa disappeared once i had nik.

so, i will be going back to school this september. and yes, i will be the oldest (and have the biggest butt) person there. i am really nervous. i told nik and emma that i was feeling a little nervous about going back to school. nik was very understanding and told me to relax. "just be nice, momma, and you will make friends. remember, you have to be friendly if you want friends." thanks nik.

emma said: "don't go. just stay home and be mommy." oh, that is tooooo easy for me! i have been mommy for 6 years. mommy needs to find the outside world. i used to know things. i used to be aware of the world around me. i need to know more than just what arthur and dw are fighting about and if spongebob will ever get his driver's license. although i do care about these things.

when i expressed my concerns to dan his response was: "hey, tommy lee is going back to college. there is going to be a whole new reality show about him going to college. and he is older than you."

i actually married this man and promised god i would stick it out through good and bad. the weird part is, i am strangely comforted by this.....tommy and me back in school. i will just die if he gets his degree before me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Wouldn't that be cool if you guys graduated together!?! Good luck. (Liz @ This Full House - thompsonclan6.typepad.com/thompsonclan6/)

Sister Sunshine said...

I'm 39 and I just got my A.S. degree... from the same college and at the same time as my 18 year old son! It's never too late. And my baby was 1 when I went back... she's now about to turn 3. She didn't want me to go either... but I'm glad I did!
: )