9.17.2004

did you happen to see the most beautiful boy in the world?

nikolas, the love of my life, overheard me telling dan that i was going to take kathryn (my mom) to target this morning. there is an entire blog entry coming on what it means to "take kathryn to target," but that comes later. nik has the capacity to hear me whisper to dan about birthday presents or cookies being in the house, but he can't hear me say, "5 minutes before we leave for school." amazing, isn't it?

so i am brushing my teeth, talking to dan (who is in the shower ---- we often have conversations this way, privacy no longer exists in our home) and nik suddenly is hugging me from behind. "i love you, momma. you are the best momma in the whole universe and earth, too. i think you look very pretty this morning, and your breath smells really good." i hug him and cover his face with kisses. i know that this is a ploy to win me over for something, but i love the attention so i play along.

me: "why thank you, nik. how sweet of you to say so."

nik: "you know, if you wanted to, you could buy me a teddy bear at target."

me: "well, what about the other 10 teddy bears you have already? won't they be jealous if i bring another bear into the house? you hardly have any room in your bed to sleep. how would your bears feel if they had to give up more of the bed to make room for another bear?"

nik: "mom, we all need to learn to get along. there should be room for any bear who wants to sleep in my bed. i don't mind. i could even sleep on the floor."

mind you, this boy has a bunk bed, filled to capacity with animals and pillows.

me: "that is very generous of you, honey. i don't think i can't get a new bear today."

nik: "mom, is it a money issue?"

me: "ummmm, ok, yeah, it is a money issue."

nik: "that i understand, mom. will you let me know when daddy has money and then you can ask him if it is ok for you to have some money so that you can buy me a new bear?"

me: "sure thing nik. i will ask daddy for my allowance and then spend it on you."

nik: "what is an allowance? why are you laughing? what is so funny? are you losing it, momma?"

yeah, i am losing it.

No comments: